We know that it is not an easy time, however, self-isolation and social distancing are important steps in combatting the COVID-19 outbreak. In order to make the best of the situation, here are some ideas for things to do with children from the comfort of your own home.
Things to do while self-isolating
- If you are getting tired of watching television and movies, consider a virtual tour of a museum, theme park, and even natural and man-made wonders. This list has some great options: https://www.insider.com/museums-theme-parks-offer-virtual-tours-ideal-for-social-distancing-2020-3
- Sometimes the simple activities can be the best ones, this list of things to do at home with the kids offers some great, easy ideas including:
- Treasure hunt in the house
- Making playdough
- Having a living room dance party
- Make a stop motion movie using legos or small toys
- Marshmallow toothpick engineering challenges
- And many more! Check out the list to see what works for you and your family!
- Read online! If you have an e-reader you may be able to borrow books from your local library on your e-reader for free. You can also often find videos of your favourite children’s books on youtube being read aloud. Some even are read aloud by the authors themselves. This can be a great way to continue to expand your reading resources without having to go the library or bookstore. This resource from Scholastic Canada https://bookflix.digital.scholastic.com also has a number of books that can be read online as well as videos and activities to accompany them.
- Try out some educational activities from our online resource: https://bitaa.com . Many of these activities do not require complex supplies and use a variety of key developmental skills.
Hopefully this article helped you think of some things you can do during this difficult time.
Wishing everyone health and safety.