Remembrance Day is coming up this weekend. It is important to teach children the meaning of Remembrance Day. The poppy is a great way for children to learn about and experience the symbolism of this occasion. And so today we are sharing this poppy craft with the goal of learning more about the meaning of peace and the importance of the poppy.
- Black construction paper
- Markers, pencil crayons, crayons, paint, etc.
- White paper
- Decided what artistic method you want to use (markers, pencil crayons, etc.)
- Talk about Remembrance Day and the poppy. Talk about the symbolism of this day and this image.
- Talk about how the poppy is a four-sided flower.
- From here you have two options depending on the size of your group. From here you can have each child design one corner of the poppy that takes up the entire piece of 8.5×11 paper, or you can have each child design a whole paper and then cut it into 4 pieces.
- Either way, once the poppy images are complete mount them on black construction paper
- Put the corners together in sets of 4 to make complete poppies with a collage effect.
- You can include a discussion of how you had to work together to create the poppies and peace in the world is also a collaborative effort, but when everyone does their part, it can be a wonderful thing.
- Optional: cut out some white paper doves to put at the centre of each poppy.
Guidance and Safety Considerations
- The content of Remembrance Day is of a sensitive nature. Be sure to be aware of any emotional responses children have to this topic.