Here are some tips (used by educators themselves) for increasing your child’s interest in reading and literacy, even for those little ones at the age of two.
- Create a cozy space for reading books aloud to your children
- Read with emphasis and excitement, and change voices for different characters
- Point to pictures and ask questions to keep children engaged
- Read books with repetition or rhyme so that kids can read along
- Read repeat books so children learn prediction skills as the begin to recognize the repetition
- Point to words and tell children what those words say with emphasis on each letters sound
- Choose books based on children’s interests so that they hold kid’s attention
- Don’t create a designated book area, keep books in various areas of the room or house so that they are easily accessible, and if possible, try to connect them to their environment or surrounding objects.
Source: Petersen, Sandra H., and Donna S. Wittmer. Infant and toddler Curriculum, 2nd Edition. Pearson Learning Solutions, 2012. VitalBook file.