The weather this month is getting warmer and sunnier. We can feel that summer is approaching fast! So for today we thought we would share some fun, and healthy, summer snacks for kids. These are great treats to beat the heat! They are refreshing and pretty healthy compared to their common summer alternatives.
This is the second post in a series of posts on recipes for healthy summer snacks for kids. One recipe will be featured per post. Here is one of our favourites, for the full list check out the source at the bottom. Note: if your child has any allergies be sure to thoroughly read all instructions and ingredients lists before trying any of these recipes.
STRAWBERRY YOGURT COOKIES from: https://www.itsyummi.com/strawberry-yogurt-cookies/
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup erythritol (this is a sweetener)
- 2/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 lemon, zested
- ¾ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup sanding sugar (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- In medium mixing bowl combine flower, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, yogurt, egg white, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla until fully combined. Add the flour mixture to the yogurt mixture and stir just until no flour lumps remain, but try not to over mix. Gently fold in the strawberries.
- Drop dollops of batter, about 2 tablespoons in size, onto prepared sheet, about 1 inch apart. Sprinkle the tops of each cookie with a small amount of sanding sugar.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the edges barely begin to brown. Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack, or serving container.
- If stored in an airtight container, cookies will keep for 2-3 days.
Check out the full list from (source): http://www.yummyhealthyeasy.com/healthy-summertime-snacks/