Today we are sharing something that we haven’t done in a while: a featured book! And to go with the coming winter season, we decided to feature “The Snowy Day” by Ezra Jack Keats.
This book is great for ages preschool to grade 2.
This story captures the feeling of wonder and excitement on a snow day when you are young. The main character Peter is endearing and relatable. It is a great read aloud book for parents and children together, or in the classroom, and there are a lot of ways to extend this book into an activity, including plays you can find online, and art activities like the one below.
One of our favourite parts of this book is the illustration. The bright colours and collage like style are truly whimsical.
For an audio reading of this book visit: The Snowy Day Youtube Reading
Source: Keats, Ezra Jack. The Snowy Day. The Viking Press, 1962.
Image Source: Scholastic
For an activity to accompany this book consider: PUFFY PAINT TRACKS IN THE SNOW
- Toy figurine
- Red paper (to make cut out of peter)
- Blue paper
- Shaving cream
- Craft stick
- Paint brush
- Cut out the shape of Peter in his red snowsuit out of red paper.
- Mix equal parts glue and shaving cream in a large bowl with a craft stick to make the puffy paint.
- Paint your blue paper with the puffy paint. Cover it thoroughly.
- Use your toy figurine to make footprints and tracks in the puffy paint.
- Glue peter on top of the snow.
Activity Source: The Joyful Weary Blog The Snowy Day Activity