Developmental Goal/Activity Objective: To create art inspired by literary works while learning about the seasonal changes of fall and using natural manipulatives.
- A copy of the book “Leaf Man” by Lois Ehlert
- Construction Paper
Procedures/Strategies: (how to present activity and what children will do)
- Read the book “Leaf Man” as a group. Talk about the imagery in the book and how characters, animals, and scenery are created using leaves.
- Go out to the park or walk around the neighbourhood with paper bags and collect leaves of different shapes and sizes. Each child should collect their own leaves to make a collage.
- You may also put out supplementary items for children to use, like pom poms, buttons, googly eyes, etc.
- Each child should be given a piece of construction paper and some liquid glue. They can them create a collage using the leaves of whatever they like. People and animal are great ideas but give them the freedom to create however they want based on the inspiration of the book.