This is a wonderful activity we did at the centre a couple weeks ago and thought we would share here. It is great for Spring and for incorporating into a metamorphosis educational theme.
- Coffee filters
- Non-permanent markers
- Small jars
- Pipe cleaners
- Draw a thick circle with your marker around the middle of the coffe filter (make sure to do it on top of another surface like newspaper to protect the table).
- Write the colour of the marker in pencil in the centre.
- Fold the coffee filter in half and then in half again.
- Get a short glass of water or water in a jar, balance the coffee filter so that only the tip is touching the centre, not the part with the marker.
- Let it sit and watch what happens as the water begins to flow up the paper.
- Once satisfied with the spread of the colour take the filters out and let dry.
- To turn these into butterflies, wrap the centres with a piece of pipe cleaner.
And there you have it! Chromatography butterflies! Include a discussion of metamorphosis and of colour mixing to take the activity a step further.