Groundhogs are famous for predicting Spring. The second of February is Groundhog Day.
Legend has it that spring will arrive earlier if the groundhog emerges from his burrow on February 2nd without seeing his shadow.
There will be six more weeks of winter if the groundhog returns into its burrow after seeing a shadow.
Groundhog Day is a wonderful reason to celebrate, regardless of whether you are anticipating six more weeks of winter or an early spring. Here are some ways to celebrate that can make this winter day happier.
- TRAVEL TO PENNSYLVANIA’S PUNXSUTAWNEY
Attend the Groundhog Day Celebration at Punxsutawney. Early in the morning, crowds of people gathered atop Gobbler’s Knob to see Punxsutawney Phil appear from his burrow. If Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, six more weeks of winter will be ahead. If not, spring will soon arrive! If you can’t make it to Punxsutawney, witness the exciting event live on February 2 by tuning in to the livestream.
- WATCH BILL MURRAY’S 1993 MOVIE, GROUNDHOG DAY
This movie will add some humour to your holiday celebration.
- SING THE GROUNDHOG DAY SONG
You probably had no idea that there was a song about Groundhog Day. Make sure to watch the song’s music video, which was created by Helen Slayton Hughes. Perhaps you could sing along on Groundhog Day after learning it?
- HAVE A GROUNDHOG DAY LOOK-ALIKE PARTY
All your friends are welcome to visit your home while wearing groundhog costumes. Prizes should be awarded to those who most closely resemble a groundhog.
- DISCOVER SOME GROUNDHOG FACTS:
- Groundhogs have 22 teeth in total.
- When they are flirting or in alarm, they whistle.
- They consume fruits, vegetables, and greens because they are vegetarians.
- They have individual burrows and hibernate.
- Their tunnels have two entrances.
- They can climb trees and swim.
- The average groundhog weighs 12 to15 pounds, but Punxsutawney Phil weighs 20 pounds.
- They have a top speed of 9 miles per hour.
- A baby groundhog is called a kit or a cub.
- Their life expectancy ranges from 6 to 8 years.
- During hibernation, they may lose half of their body weight.
- READ A GROUNDHOG DAY BOOK TO YOUR KIDS
Plenty adorable children’s books based on Groundhog Day tales are available. Why not give them a look?
- Gretchen Groundhog, It’s Your Day
- Gregory’s Shadow
- Punxsutawney Phyllis
- It’s Groundhog Day
- Substitute Groundhog
- Geoffrey Groundhog
- Punsxsutawney Phil and His Weather Wisdom
- RISE EARLY AND VISIT A GROUNDHOG HOLE
By rising early and observing the closest groundhog hole, you can create your own family tradition.
Have a Happy Groundhog Day!