The weather this month is getting warmer and sunnier. We can feel that summer is approaching fast! So for today we thought we would share some fun, and healthy, summer snacks for kids. These are great treats to beat the heat! They are refreshing and pretty healthy compared to their common summer alternatives.
This is the third post in a series of posts on recipes for healthy summer snacks for kids. One recipe will be featured per post. Here is one of our favourites, for the full list check out the source at the bottom. Note: if your child has any allergies be sure to thoroughly read all instructions and ingredients lists before trying any of these recipes.
FAVA BEAN AND MINT CROSTINI from: http://flavorthemoments.com/fava-bean-burrata-mint-crostini/
- 1 lb fava beans, unshelled
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- toasted baguette slices
- burrata cheese, sliced
- fill a small saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat, and fill a medium bowl with ice water. Add the fava beans to the boiling water and cook about 3-4 minutes, depending on the size of the beans. Drain the beans and pour into the ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Gently squeeze the beans out of the outer skin.
- Place the beans in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Add lemon juice, mint, salt, and pepper.
- With the processor on low, add the oil through the chute and process until combined. Taste and correct the seasonings until the desired flavours are achieved.
- Place about a tablespoon of spread on each slice of bread. Top with a small slice of Burrata.
Check out the full list from (source): http://www.yummyhealthyeasy.com/healthy-summertime-snacks/